Do you Have Pre-Diabetes?
The World Health Organisation recommends that an HbA1c blood test level of 42−47 mmol/mol places you in the pre-diabetes range and indicates a high risk of diabetes in the future, with an HbA1c value of 48 mmol/mol or above being the blood level for diagnosing diabetes.
Between 1 and 3 out of every 4 people with pre-diabetes will develop diabetes within ten years. It is thought that having pre-diabetes also increases your risk of developing cardiovascular problems (problems with your circulation such as heart disease and stroke).
We can now offer you a place on the free NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme in Redditch and Bromsgrove.
The NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme in Redditch and Bromsgrove will help you take control of your health, supporting you to make changes to your diet, weight and the amount of exercise you do. Taking this kind of action now is very important as it can reduce your risk of, or even stop you, developing Type 2 diabetes.
Are you eligible to join the programme?
You can join the Healthier You programme if you are:
- Aged 18 years and over
- Registered with a GP Practice within Worcestershire
- HbA1c between 42-47 mmol/mol (6.0-6.4%) or Fasting Plasma Glucose between 5.5-6.9 mmols/I within the last 12 month
- Not pregnant
- Able to take part in light/moderate physical activity
Key Features of the Programme:
- Highly skilled health and wellbeing coaches trained to guide and encourage you
- Mixture of one-to-one and group sessions
- Access to a national programme that uses the latest research evidence
- Solve problems that get in the way of making healthy changes
- Learn how healthy eating and physical activity can help reduce your risk of Type 2 diabetes
- Free attendance
Spaces on the programme are limited so we ask you to only join if you can commit to attend:
- One to one initial assessment, lasting one hour
- Ten weekly group sessions that include healthy lifestyle advice and physical activity(two hours each session)
- Four monthly group sessions that include strategies to help you maintain your lifestyle changes.
- Three one-to-one progress review sessions lasting an hour at three, six and nine months
Sessions are held at various locations throughout Redditch and Bromsgrove with times to suit you, including during the day, evenings and weekends. So you’re sure to find a group convenient for you.
If you are interested in joining the Programme you can self refer. To register click on www.preventing-diabetes.co.uk/self-referral/ or call 0333 577 3010.
Please note that due to the current pandemic the programme is delivered over telephone.